Thursday 9 June 2016

The gratitude shown to me by families makes it a worthwhile job


Pat Layer, Coroner's Court Support Service Volunteer

I have been a volunteer with TVP for 10 years but for the last eight years have worked with the Coroner’s Court Support Service at Milton Keynes Coroner's Court.

Attending an Inquest can be a bewildering and emotional experience and as trained volunteer I greet families on arrival and give emotional and practical support.

Every family is different and no two inquests are the same, just a different scenario but always calling for tact, diplomacy and empathy. All this makes for a very demanding role which I love. The gratitude shown to me by families makes it all a very worthwhile job.

Over a number of years I have worked for Relate, Carers UK and a local support group for Alzheimer’s.  Nothing compares to my role with the Coroner’s Court Support Service who offered a first class training.       


For more information about volunteering with TVP please see our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.