Friday 10 June 2016

A point of contact for the equine community


Helen Evans, Equine Liaison 

I have volunteered as an Equine Liaison volunteer for TVP for ten years. I love being part of the police family. They were very supportive when I lost my husband four years ago.

I started doing Horsewatch 24 years ago, and realised that we needed more connection with Officers. Horsewatch is a scheme that allows horse owners and those with equine interests to keep up to date on what is happening in their local area.

My primary role is one of Crime Prevention, and being a point of contact for the equine community. I am only in the office one day a week, but available 24/7. I give talks and attend conferences and seminars to raise awareness of the Horsewatch scheme.

I visit farms and stables to give advice on security and I also run a free tack marking service.
I instigated training which has seen over 400 TVP personnel learn how to handle horses, keeping themselves and members of the public safe.

I work closely with other equine agencies, and promote campaigns such as ‘Be safe or be seen’, ‘Keep your dog on a lead’, ‘Mark it or lose it’ and the latest one ‘Dead slow’.  

What I love about my role is that no two days are the same. I might be answering queries from an officer relating to a missing horse one day, then helping an aggrieved person report a dog incident, or giving a talk to a Pony Club, or helping to identify stolen tack.

I have had over 50 years enjoyment from horses and this is my way of giving something back.

For more information of how you can volunteer with Thames Valley Police
please look at our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.